The Singapore Chemical Industry Council (“SCIC”) collects business information for the purpose of serving the needs of its corporate members. In some situations, we may need to collect personal information from representatives of companies that participate in our activities.
What we collect
The types of personal data that we collect depend on the circumstances of collection and on the nature of the transaction undertaken with us.
The personal data that we may request includes but is not limited to (individually and collectively referred to as “Personal Data”):
- personal identification information, including name, identification and passport numbers, gender, date of birth, images, photographs, videos, closed circuit television (CCTV) footage, voice recordings
- contact information, including postal address, email address, phone number;
- demographic information such as academic qualifications, occupation, job details, preferences and interests
- other information as we may notify you, whether for surveys, sale of publications and other service offerings
- technical and statistical data, such as your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring website addresses, which will automatically be collected by us to maintain quality of the service and to compile general statistics regarding use of our websites
What we do with the information we gather
The Personal Data you provide helps us to understand your needs, maintain our relationship with you, process transactions, fulfil our delivery obligations for any goods, services or activities you undertake with us, and improve our service delivery. In particular, we collect your Personal Data for the following purposes, including without limitation:
- Internal record keeping
- Process relevant information for organising and conducting our activities, e.g. overseas mission trips
- Improve our products and services and to customise our websites according to your interests
- Develop content of this site and our related network of websites
- Periodically send you email updates about new activities and service offerings or other information of relevance to you using the email address which you have provided. You have the option of opting out from receiving such information
- Respond to feedback from you
- From time to time, we may use your information to contact you by email, phone, fax or mail to conduct research
We may also use and disclose your Personal Data within SCIC, and with and to third parties. In order to fulfill the Purposes listed above, in which case, we may:
- Disclose, transfer, and jointly use your Personal Data to and with such third parties in Singapore and overseas, and your Personal Data may also be transmitted to data storage facilities or our offices and appointed agents in Singapore or other countries in connection with our performance of the transaction with you
- Share your Personal Data with our trusted partners to help us perform statistical analysis, send you email or postal mail, provide customer support, or arrange for deliveries. All such third parties are prohibited from using your Personal Data except to provide these services to us, and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your Personal Data
If required or authorised to do so by law or pursuant to a court order, including but not limited to circumstances where use and/or disclosure is:
- Necessary for any investigation or legal proceedings, including but not limited to fraud, intellectual property infringement or privacy
- Necessary for establishing, exercising or defending our legal rights, or obtaining legal services
- Necessary for responding to an emergency that threatens the life, health or safety of an individual
Your express consent will be sought when collecting your Personal Data. There will also be instances where your consent for the collection or use of your Personal Data will necessarily be implied from the circumstances by nature of the task or transaction, including your interaction with us or in the course of signing up for, or accepting, any of our products, services or activities you have requested.
Whilst we will take reasonable steps to accurately record your Personal Data, we require that you provide us with accurate and complete Personal Data, and update such Personal Data provided to us, from time to time. Failure on your part to do so may result in our inability to provide you with information regarding our events and activities.
We will retain your Personal Data for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected, the legal or business purposes of SCIC, or as required by relevant laws. When destroying Personal Data, we will take commercially reasonable and technically possible measures to make the personal information irrecoverable or irreproducible in accordance with the applicable laws.
Contacting Us for Withdrawal of Consent, Access and Correction of your Personal Data that is in the possession or under the control of SCIC
- have any questions or feedback relating to your Personal Data or our Data Protection Policy;
- would like to withdraw your consent to any use of your Personal Data as set out in this Data Protection Policy; and/or
- would like to obtain access and make corrections to your Personal Data records,
please do so through one of following ways:
- Clicking the ‘Unsubscribe’ function in the mailer; and/or
- Logging into the SCIC membership portal;
SCIC reserves the right to charge a fee (representing its costs in administering your request) for supplying such information and to refuse requests which, in our opinion, occur with unreasonable frequency.
SCIC will also, where you have requested that SCIC correct an error or omission in the Personal Data about you that is kept with SCIC, correct such data as soon as practicable and send the corrected Personal Data to every organisation to which the Personal Data was sent before it had been corrected, unless that organisation does not need the corrected Personal Data for any legal or business purpose.
SCIC may however choose not to provide you with access to or correct such information, in accordance with the exceptions under the PDPA. This would include cases where:
- SCIC is satisfied on reasonable grounds that the correction should not be made;
- The request for access is frivolous or vexatious or the information requested is trivial;
- The Personal Data is related to a prosecution and all the proceedings related to the prosecution have not been completed;
- The Personal Data, if disclosed, would reveal confidential commercial information that could, in the opinion of a reasonable person, harm the competitive position of the organisation; and
- The Personal Data was collected, used or disclosed for the purposes of an investigation and associated proceedings and appeals have not been completed
Enquiries and Complaints
To protect your privacy and security, we will also require you to verify your identity before we can respond substantially to your request.